The Outcome of Single-incision Laparoscopic Right Colectomy for Colon Carcinoma in the Elderly
Surgical Laparoscopy, Endoscopy & Percutaneous Techniques, 08/09/2012
Hirano Y et al. – Authors believe that single–incision laparoscopic colectomy can be carried out safely in elderly patients with colon cancer.Methods
- Among 34 right colon cancer patients treated with single–incision laparoscopic surgery procedure between August 2010 and September 2011, 9 (26.5%) were aged 80 or over.
- The results of treatment in this elderly group were compared retrospectively with those in 10 younger colon cancer patients (age, 59 to 67 y; control group, 29.5%).
- The sex distribution, body mass index, and the tumor location were similar between the groups.
- The elderly had a higher incidence of preoperative risk factors (77.7% vs. 40.0%; P=0.17).
- However, operative time and estimated blood loss were similar and postoperative complications had not occurred in both groups.