Circulating miR-34a levels are reduced in colorectal cancer
Journal of Surgical Oncology, 06/15/2012
Nugent M et al. – This study demonstrates significantly reduced expression of circulating miR–34a in colorectal and breast cancer. This may have future application as part of a biomarker profile.Methods
- Blood samples were collected from 63 colorectal cancer patients and 45 controls.
- Expression of 7 target miRNAs (miR–143, miR–145, miR–21, miR–30a–3p, miR–31, miR–34a, and miR–92) was measured using RQ–PCR. Results were correlated with clinicopathological data and analyzed.
- Analysis of differentially expressed circulating miRNAs was expanded to include 62 patients with prostate, renal, breast, and melanoma cancers.
- Analysis of the relative quantification of the target miRNAs showed significantly reduced expression (P=0.004) of miR–34a in colorectal cancer.
- MiR–34a was also significantly reduced in breast cancer (P=0.019).