Dong LF et al. – Sentinel lymph node (SLN)–guided minimally invasive surgery could be safely performed in early gastric cancer (EGC) according to feasible criteria.Methods
- A solitary metastasis lymph node was taken as SLN, the features of lymph node metastasis were analyzed retrospectively in 255 patients with EGC, and the result was then compared with a SLN biopsy in 23 patients with EGC.
- Depth of invasion and tumor size were independent risk factors for lymph node metastasis in EGC.
- The lymph node metastasis rate for mucosal carcinoma with a diameter <4 cm was 2.5%, and it was 13.3% when the diameter was ≥4 cm (p = 0.040).
- For submucosal carcinoma, it was 25.4% when the tumor diameter was <3 cm and 50.5% when the diameter was ≥3 cm (p = 0.003).
- The accuracy, sensitivity, and specificity of SLN biopsy in EGC was 100%, respectively.
- The distribution characteristics of SLN were consistent with those of lymph node metastasis in EGC.