Screening for fetal spina bifida by ultrasound examination in the first trimester of pregnancy using fetal biparietal diameter
American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 05/25/2012
Bernard JP et al. – Simple and reproducible BPD at 11–14 weeks of gestation could detect half the cases of open fetal spina bifida by identifying 5% of pregnancies for expert scanning in first and second trimester examinations of the fetal spine and cranium.Methods
- 34,951 unselected consecutive pregnancies included 18 with spina bifida.
- Another 28 cases were referred for assessment.
- Biometric measurements were expressed in multiples of the median for crown–rump length.
- Biparietal diameter (BPD) was smaller in spina bifida (P<0.0001).
- 22/44 (50%) cases with spina bifida aperta had a BPD < 5th centile.
- BPD was independent of maternal adiposity and smoking status.