Polymorphisms in folate-metabolizing genes and risk of having an offspring with congenital anomalies in the West Siberian region of Russia: a case–control study
Prenatal Diagnosis, 08/02/2012
Weiner AS et al. – The findings indicate that locus A2756G in the MTR gene may play a role in susceptibility to CA of the cardiovascular system in West Siberia, but further research is necessary to confirm the association.Methods
- Authors genotyped 280 mothers having a CA–affected pregnancy and 390 control mothers.
- The most common malformations among the cases were CA of the nervous, urinary, and cardiovascular systems, and these groups were analyzed separately.
- In the whole group of CA, they revealed the associations of MTHFR C677T and MTR A2756G loci with increased risk of CA–affected pregnancy.
- In the group of CA of the cardiovascular system, they observed an association of MTHFR A1298C with decreased risk and an association of MTR A2756G with increased risk of CA.
- After the Bonferroni correction, only the association between the genotype MTR 2756GG and the risk of having a fetus with CA of the cardiovascular system remained statistically significant (OR=4.99, P=0.03).