Closing the Appendicular Stump with a Polymeric Clip in Laparoscopic Appendectomy: Analysis of 121 Pediatric Patients
European Journal of Pediatric Surgery, 07/03/2012
Akkoyun I et al. – Laparoscopic appendectomy (LA) using polymeric clip/s to close appendicular stump in children is a safe, feasible, and inexpensive method.Methods
- In this study, 121 pediatric patients who underwent LA between July 2009 and July 2011 were included.
- Age and gender of the patients, the number of clips, operative time and length of hospitalization, complications, and follow-up periods were evaluated retrospectively.
- Of appendicular stump of a total of 121 patients who were underwent LA, 71 were closed with double polymeric clips and 50 were closed with a single polymeric clip.
- Patients were between the ages of 3 and 15 years (mean 8.3 years).
- Out of the 121 patients, 54 were female and 67 were male. The duration of the operation was ranged from 13 to 55 minutes (mean 28 minutes).
- Of these, 83 patients were discharged in less than 24 hours. The cost of a single clip was 10 USD.
- The follow-up period of patients were ranged between 1 and 23 months (mean 13 months).