The effect of trigger point management by positional release therapy on tension type headache
Ghanbari A et al. – Both procedures were equally effective according to the study. Thus, Positional Release Therapy (PRT) can be a treatment choice for patients with Tension Type Headache (T.T.H).Methods
- 30 Patients with active trigger points in cervical muscles entered to the study.
- They were randomly assigned to PRT or medical therapy group.
- Headache frequency, intensity and duration and tablet count were recorded by use of a daily headache diary.
- Sensitivity of trigger points was assessed by numeric pain intensity and by use of a digital force gauge (FG 5020).
- Both groups showed significant reduction in headache frequency and duration and tablet count after treatment phase.
- However, the reduction of study variables was persisted only in PRT group after follow up phase.
- There was no significant reduction in headache intensity, neither in PRT and nor in medication group.
- Sensitivity of trigger points was significantly reduced.
- In comparison of the two study groups, there was no significant difference in headache frequency, intensity, duration and tablet count (p> 0.05).