Pillans PI et al. – Lumiracoxib can be associated with severe liver injury. The presence of a variety of positive auto–antibodies suggests an altered immune response may be contributory.Methods
- To describe in detail 3 cases of severe liver injury in patients taking lumiracoxib who were admitted to the hospital, together with information on a further 6 cases reported to the Australian Therapeutics Goods Administration (TGA), none of whom had pre-existing liver disease or obvious risk factors for liver disease.
- Liver histology showed severe hepatic necrosis.
- One patient required liver transplantation and another died.
- Autoantibodies were detected in all 3 patients.
- As with the other 6 cases reported to the TGA, all were females who had been taking lumiracoxib 200-400 mg daily, typically for a few months, for osteoarthritis.