Methylene Blue in the Treatment of Discogenic Low Back Pain Full Text
Pain Physician, 08/08/2012
Gupta G et al. – Low back pain ascribed to a discogenic source continues to be an elusive clinical entity to treat. The authors have reserved further treatment of methylene blue for discogenic pain until other controlled trials have been published.Methods
- Retrospective case series.
- This case series examines the pain and functional outcomes in 8 patients treated with a one–time administration of methylene blue for discogenic back pain.
- Follow–up information was available between 2 months and over one year, depending on the patient.
- Application of this treatment for these 8 patients for discogenic pain diagnosed by provocation discography showed only one clinical success at the center.
- Four patients had a time–limited clinical response in pain and/or function between 2 weeks and 5 months.
- Patient specific data are outlined in detail herein.