Hearing and cochlear function of patients with ankylosing spondylitis
Clinical Rheumatology, 05/03/2012
Kahveci OK et al. – This study demonstrated that there is an association between Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) and hearing loss, but the cochlea is not the main source of hearing loss.Methods
- Thirty–seven AS patients and 20 healthy controls were evaluated prospectively.
- Otorhinolaryngologic examinations were performed in all patients together with pure tone audiometry, speech discrimination test, tympanometry, and distortion product otoacoustic emission (DPOE).
- Disease duration, Bath Ankylosing Spondylitis Disease Activity Index (BASDAI) scores, and hematologic findings (CRP and ESR) were also collected.
- Pure tone audiometry findings of the patients and controls were significantly different in all frequencies (p < 0.01).
- Speech discrimination scores were also significantly different (p < 0.01).
- No significant difference was found between DPOE responses of the patients and controls (p > 0.05).
- There was no correlation between disease duration, BASDAI scores, hematological findings, and audiometry findings (p > 0.05).