The influence of antidiabetic medications on the development and progression of prostate cancer
Cancer Epidemiology, 07/11/2012
Hitron A et al. – Future studies should be conducted to further evaluate the effects of anti-diabetic medications on tumor grade and time to prostate cancer progression.Methods
- This retrospective, nested case control study identified patients with prostate cancer (PCa) from the Kentucky Medicaid Database.
- Cases were diagnosed with PCa and DM and using at least one of the following antidiabetic medications; sulfonylureas, insulin, metformin or TZDs.
- Cases were further stratified on their insulin exposure resulting from therapy.
- Controls were those with PCa without DM or any anti-diabetic medications.
- The use of metformin or TZDs trended toward decreased odds of high-grade tumors and decreased risk of progression, while sulfonylureas and high-dose insulin tended toward an increased odds of high-grade tumors and increase the risk of progression compared to non-diabetics.