Pair-Box (PAX8) protein-positive expression is associated with poor disease outcome in women with endometrial cancer
British Journal of Cancer, 05/31/2012
Mhawech-Fauceglia P et al. – Overexpression of Pax8 protein by endometrial cancer is associated with poor disease outcomes. Inhibition of Pax8 may be a very attractive targeted therapy for selective patients.Methods
- The following clinical parameters from 229 patients were used for correlation with Pax8 expression; age, histological subtype, myometrial depth of invasion, lymphovascular invasion (LVI), the International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics grade, lymph nodes status, and disease status
- A positive association of Pax8+ expression was found with high tumour grade (P=0.002), LVI+(P=0.0186), and type II tumour subtype (P<0.0001) in univariate analysis.
- Survival analysis showed an association of Pax8 and 5-year overall survival probability (P=0.01486), 80.04% for patients with Pax8- and 55.59% for patients with Pax8+.
- There was also an association of Pax8 and 5-year disease-free survival probability (P=0.02028), 72.12% for patients with Pax8- vs 49.88% for patients with Pax8+.
- Finally, an association of Pax8+ and shorter recurrence-free survival was also found (P=0.00203), with 74.36% for Pax8- and 52.11% for Pax8+.