Ovarian function suppression and fulvestrant as endocrine therapy in premenopausal women with metastatic breast cancer
European Journal of Cancer, 04/02/2012
Bartsch R et al. – The combination of fulvestrant and goserelin offers promising activity in premenopausal patients.Methods
- Premenopausal patients with metastatic breast cancer eligible for endocrine treatment received fulvestrant 250mg and goserelin 3.6mg every four weeks as first- to fourth-line therapy.
- Twenty-six patients received treatment as scheduled. 81% were pre-treated with tamoxifen and 69% had received prior aromatase inhibitors in combination with goserelin.
- The majority of patients (69%) presented with visceral metastases.
- Complete response was observed in a single patient, partial response in three and disease stabilisation 6months in eleven patients, resulting in a CBR of 58%.
- Median TTP was 6months (95%confidence interval (CI), 2.4–9.6) and OS 32months (95%CI, 14.28–49.72), respectively.