Da Roza T et al. – PFMT increased PFM strength and reduced frequency and amount of UI episodes in sport students that completed an 8–week PFMT program. Randomized controlled trials are warranted to confirm these results.Methods
- Sixteen sport students with UI participated in this pre–post test pilot study.
- However, only seven of them, mean age 20.0±0.8 years, completed the 8–week program.
- Activity level was measured by the International Physical Activity Questionnaire–Short Form (IPAQ–SF).
- The outcome measure was the International Consultation on Incontinence Questionnaire–Short Form (ICIQ UI SF).
- PFM strength was measured by manometry as maximum voluntary contraction (MVC).
- Vaginal resting pressure improved by 17.4 cmH2O (SD 6.7), p=0.04 and MVC by 16.4 cmH2O (SD 5.8), p=0.04. ICIQ UI SF score, frequency, and amount of leakage showed statistically significant improvement.