Essure transcervical tubal sterilization: a 5-year x-ray follow up
Fertility and Sterility, 04/04/2011
Franchini M et al. – X-Ray evaluation of findings related to stability of position, symmetric appearance, and distance between the two Essure microinserts corroborates the irreversibility and the reliability of the fibrotic reaction that ensured tubal occlusion after devices placement.Methods
- A prospective controlled study
- Successful hysteroscopic bilateral placement of the Essure devices was done in 45 women.
- Postprocedure satisfactory hysterosalpingography confirmation test was done on them.
- Pelvic anteroposterior x-ray was used to evaluate the x-ray appearance of Essure microinserts 5 years after their insertion.
- Stability and symmetric appearance of Essure microinsert positions was evaluated.
- Measurement of the intrauterine distance between the two devices was done.
- After 5 years from their placement, no detachment nor fracture of devices was observed.
- X-Ray recognition of the device after 5 years showed findings similar to those recorded at 3 months’ follow-through hysterosalpingography.