Valuing the Life Experience of Old Adults and Change in Depressive Symptoms
Journal of Aging and Health, 03/02/2012
Krause N – The findings identify one way in which religion may help older people find a meaningful role to play in late life.Methods
- The data are from an ongoing nationwide survey (N = 501).
- Support is obtained for the following relationships: Older people who go to church more often are more likely to feel fellow church members value their life experience.
- Having others value their life experience helps older people feel they belong in their congregation.
- Older individuals who feel they belong in their congregation are likely to have greater feelings of self-worth.
- Greater self-worth is associated with a fewer symptoms of depression over time.