The effect of sildenafil on retinopathy of prematurity in very preterm infants
Journal of Perinatology, 07/06/2012
Fang AYW et al. – Sildenafil treatment did not affect retinopathy of prematurity (ROP) progression or increase the need for laser treatment in this cohort.Methods
- Retrospective case–control study. Infants born <30 weeks gestation who had received sildenafil during their hospitalisation were included.
- A control group matched for gestation, birth weight, gender, and place of birth was identified from the departmental database.
- For every sildenafil case, three matched controls were studied.
- Baseline data, sildenafil therapy data, results of eye examinations and respiratory data were analysed.
- 17 infants received sildenafil between 2004 and 2010. The median duration of sildenafil treatment was 52 days.
- Baseline characteristics were similar between groups.
- The odds ratio for an increase in ROP stage in the group treated with sildenafil was 1.35 (95% confidence interval 0.39-4.62, P-value 0.63).
- One infant in each group required laser treatment.