Nozue T et al. – Coronary arteries showed negative remodeling during statin–induced plaque regression. The difference in plaque composition between patients with progression and those with regression of coronary atherosclerosis during statin therapy arose from the difference in the change in fibrous component.Methods
- The effects of 8–month statin therapy on coronary atherosclerosis were evaluated in the Treatment With Statin on Atheroma Regression Evaluated by Intravascular Ultrasound With Virtual Histology (TRUTH) study using intravascular ultrasound–virtual histology.
- 119 patients were divided into 2 groups according to atheroma volume increase (progressors) or decrease (regressors) during an 8–month follow–up period.
- 51 patients (43%) were categorized as progressors and the remaining 68 (57%) as regressors.
- External elastic membrane volume increased, although not significantly (0.8%, p = 0.34), and luminal volume decreased significantly (–5.3%, p = 0.0003) in progressors, while external elastic membrane volume decreased significantly (–3.2%, p <0.0001) and luminal volume increased (2.2%, p = 0.13) in regressors.
- The fibrous component increased significantly in progressors, while this component decreased in regressors.
- A strong positive correlation was observed between change in atheroma volume and change in fibrous volume (r = 0.812, p <0.0001).