Vitamin D: The Iceberg Nutrient
Journal of Renal Nutrition, 03/25/2011
Armas LAG et al. - The article discusses vitamin D’s role in Cancer, cardiovascular disease and infections with a focus on the chronic kidney disease patient.
- Patients with chronic kidney disease have a deficit in their kidney production of 1,25(OH)2D and have classically been treated with calcitriol or its active analogues.
- Despite often having lower systemic levels of 1,25(OH)2D, patients with chronic kidney disease retain the capability of extra renal production of 1,25(OH)2D.
- This has far reaching implications for their health.
- This review examines clinical trials and observations in 3 areas that impact chronic kidney disease patients.
- Cancer, cardiovascular disease and infections are responsible for much of the morbidity and mortality in this patient population.