The validation of a new comprehensive headache-specific quality of life questionnaire
Manhalter N et al. – In this study the new headache–specific QOL instrument showed adequate psychometric properties.Methods
- A total of 202 patients suffering from migraine (n=168) or tension–type headache (TTH) (n=34) completed the CHQQ and SF–36, a generic QOL questionnaire.
- Authors assessed the reliability and validity of the CHQQ and its physical, mental and social dimensions.
- The questionnaire was easy to administer.
- Reliability was excellent with Cronbach's alpha being 0.913 for the whole instrument (0.814–0.832 for its dimensions).
- The dimensions and total score showed significant correlations with the patients' headache characteristics (criterion validity), and were also significantly correlated with the SF–36 domains (convergent validity).
- The total score and dimensions were significantly (p<0.005) lower in the migraine group than in the TTH group (discriminative validity).