Fischer K et al. – The results indicate that advanced renal cancers are accompanied by increased levels of acute–phase proteins such as C–reactive protein (CRP) and SAA. Serum amyloid A (SAA) is found to be more sensitive than CRP for the indication of advanced renal cancer.Methods
- In thestudy, 48 patients with localized and 67 patients with advanced renal tumors were included.
- 24 patients served as a control group.
- Interleukine 6 (IL-6), C-reactive protein (CRP) and SAA levels were measured preoperatively and at day 5 after nephrectomy.
- The IL-6, CRP and SAA levels in patients with advanced tumors are significantly higher than those of patients with localized tumors.
- Advanced tumors were identified with a sensitivity of 78% (SAA), 69% (CRP) and 44% (IL-6).
- The specificity was 82%, 82% and 94% for SAA, CRP and IL-6, respectively.