Paraoxonase 1 activity in multiple sclerosis patients during mitoxantrone therapy
Acta Neurologica Scandinavica, 08/21/2012
Jamroz–Wisniewska A et al. – The findings suggest that mitoxantrone therapy does not influence Paraoxonase 1 (PON1) activity.Methods
- A studied group included 26 patients with secondary progressive MS, 16 women and 10 men.
- The blood was collected before the beginning of the therapy as well as after 6 and 12 months.
- Patients were receiving mitoxantrone every 12 weeks.
- Serum PON1 activity was assayed using two synthetic substrates: paraoxon and phenyl acetate.
- Paraoxonase 1 activity toward paraoxon and phenyl acetate and lipid profile did not change significantly in patients receiving mitoxantrone.