Kana reading disability and Das-Naglieri cognitive assessment system findings in children with ADHD
Pediatrics International, 07/05/2012
Nakashima N et al. – Children with ADHD should be given Kana reading tasks because reading disability (RD) is highly comorbid with it. DN–CAS is a useful method for evaluating cognitive processing in children with ADHD with or without RD.Methods
- Twenty children with ADHD ages 8 to 13 years were evaluated using both Kana reading tasks and DN-CAS.
- Seven children (35%) showed excessive reading time in at least two of four Kana reading tasks and diagnosed as ADHD plus RD.
- The children with ADHD plus RD took significantly longer to read a single mora, four-syllable words, and short sentences.
- There was no significant difference in the time it took the children with ADHD plus RD to read four-syllable nonwords compared to the children with ADHD only.
- The children with ADHD plus RD had significantly lower simultaneous-processing scores in DN-CAS compared to children ADHD but not RD.