Aliskiren alone or in combination with hydrochlorothiazide in hispanic/latino patients with systolic blood pressure 160 mm hg to <180 mm hg (aliskiren alone or in combination with hydrochlorothiazide in patients with stage 2 hypertension to provide quick intensive control of blood pressure [acquire] substudy)
The Journal of Clinical Hypertension, 06/14/2012
Black HR et al. – Combination aliskiren/HCT produced greater blood pressure reductions than aliskiren monotherapy.Methods
- In a prespecified subgroup analysis of a 12–week multinational, randomized, double–blind, parallel–group trial.
- Self–identified Hispanic/Latino adult men and women with systolic blood pressure 160 mm Hg to 179 mm Hg received combination aliskiren/hydrochlorothiazide (HCT) 150/12.5 mg or aliskiren 150 mg (force–titrated to 300/25 mg and 300 mg, respectively, at week 1).
- At week 12, combination aliskiren/HCT provided greater reduction in mean sitting systolic blood pressure from baseline, the primary efficacy variable, compared with aliskiren monotherapy (–32.6 mm Hg vs –19.6 mm Hg; P<.0001).
- Differences in mean sitting diastolic blood pressure reductions followed a similar pattern (–13.5 mm Hg vs –7.1 mm Hg; P<.0001).
- Notable blood pressure reductions were evident at week 1 in both treatment groups, with near–maximal effects reached by week 8.
- Results were consistent regardless of country of residence.
- Both treatments were well tolerated.
- Aliskiren alone or in combination with HCT is safe and effective in Hispanic/Latino patients with stage 2 hypertension.