Tekin G et al. – The authors have shown that patients with Atrial Fibrillation (AF) have significantly higher serum uric acid (SUA) and this was independently associated with AF in patients with ischemic Heart Failure (HF).Methods
- The authors evaluated the association between serum uric acid (SUA) and atrial fibrillation (AF) in patients with chronic heart failure (HF).
- Totally, 363 patients with chronic HF were included in the study.
- Of all, 78 patients had AF and 285 patients were in normal sinus rhythm.
- Serum uric acid was significantly increased in patients with AF compared with patients in normal sinus rhythm (P < .05).
- Comparing patients with AF and normal sinus rhythm, the authors found that age was significantly higher in patients group with AF.
- Echocardiographic parameters including ejection fraction, left atrial diameter, left ventricle end–diastolic diameter, and left ventricle end–diastolic volume were also significantly higher in patients with AF compared with patients in normal sinus rhythm.