Reduced serum levels of vasostatin-2, an anti-inflammatory peptide derived from chromogranin A, are associated with the presence and severity of coronary artery disease
European Heart Journal, 06/13/2012
Lu L et al. – Vasostatin–2 has anti–inflammatory properties and is decreased in atherosclerotic plaque specimens and in PBMC of coronary artery disease (CAD) patients. Decreased serum vasostatin–2 levels are associated with the presence and severity of CAD.Methods
- Authors assessed the impact of recombinant vasostatin–1 and vasostatin–2 on tumour necrosis factor–alpha (TNF α)–, angiotensin II–, and oxidized low–density lipoprotein (oxLDL)–induced expression of adhesion molecules in human arterial endothelial cells.
- Vasostatin–1 and vasostatin–2 levels were examined in coronary endarterectomy specimens (n= 23), atherosclerotic aortas (n= 16), non–significant–atherosclerotic internal mammary arteries (n= 30), and non–atherosclerotic aortas (n= 10), as well as in peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) from severe CAD patients (n= 50) and healthy volunteers (n= 21).
- Serum levels of vasostatin–2 were analysed in 968 consecutive patients undergoing coronary angiography.
- Vasostatin–1 and vasostatin–2 concentration–dependently inhibited TNF α–, angiotensin II–, and oxLDL–induced expression of adhesion molecules; and attenuated TNF α–induced adhesion of U937 monocytes to endothelial cells.
- Vasostatin–2 levels were significantly decreased in endarterectomy samples and atherosclerotic aortas compared with non–atherosclerotic internal mammary arteries and aortas, as well as in PBMCs of severe CAD patients compared with healthy controls (all P< 0.05).
- Serum vasostatin–2 levels were significantly lower in CAD patients (diameter stenosis ≥50%, n= 554) than in controls (normal arteries or diameter stenosis <30%, n= 281) (P< 0.001).
- Its concentrations correlated with the number of diseased coronary arteries and Syntax score in CAD patients (all P< 0.05).
- At multivariable regression analysis, decreased vasostatin–2 levels remained associated with CAD when other variables were taken into account.