The Uncoupling Protein 2 -866G > A Polymorphism is Associated with the Risk of Ischemic Stroke in Chinese Type 2 Diabetic Patients
CNS Neuroscience & Therapeutics, 06/12/2012
Chai Y et al. – The A allele of the –866G>A variant of UCP2 was associated with increased risk of IS in Chinese diabetic women with type 2 diabetes in a 4–year prospective study. This association was independent of other common IS risk factors.Methods
- A total of 844 type 2 diabetic patients with 4-year prospective study were examined using a case-control methodology.
- And 404 cases with ischemical stroke, 440 cases without ischemical stroke.
- The -866G>A polymorphism in UCP2 was genotyped by TaqMan MGB probe method.
- The -866G>A SNP in UCP2 was significantly associated with diabetic ischemical stroke (odds ratio [OR]=1.94; 95% confidence interval [CI]= 0.68 to1.31; P < 0.037).
- Similar results were observed for baseline cases of IS.
- Stratification by sex confirmed an allelic association with IS in women, whereas no association was observed in men.