Hemeoxygenase 1 expression is altered in monocytes from systemic lupus erythematosus patients
Herrada AA et al. – The authors found a significant decrease on Hemeoxigenase–1 (HO–1) expression, specifically in monocytes from SLE patients, suggesting that an imbalance of monocyte function could be in part due to a decrease of HO–1 expression.Methods
- PBMCs were obtained from 43 SLE patients and 30 healthy controls.
- CD14+ monocytes and CD4+ T cells were sorted by FACS and HO–1 expression was measured by RT–PCR.
- In addition, HO–1 protein expression was determined by FACS.
- HO–1 levels in monocytes were significantly reduced in SLE patients as compared to healthy controls.
- These results were confirmed by flow cytometry.
- No differences were observed in other cells types, such as DCs or CD4+ T cells, although decreased MHC–II levels were observed in DCs from SLE patients.