The Differential Effect of Risperidone and Olanzapine on Insulin Sensitivity after 3 Weeks of Treatment: A HOMA Pilot Study
Paslakis G et al. – Compared to risperidone, the insulin sensitivity is impaired after a 3–week treatment with olanzapine. Already short–term antipsychotic treatment may have effects on insulin sensitivity.Methods
- Patients with an acute psychotic episode underwent HOMA testing for insulin sensitivity (IS) prior to and after 3 weeks of treatment with olanzapine (n=7) or risperidone (n=7).
- The HOMA–IS index was reduced in the olanzapine group, but significantly increased in patients treated with risperidone.
- There was a significant “time×medication” interaction (p=0.03).
- The BMI significantly increased as a result of both treatments.
- IS can be acutely ameliorated by antipsychotic treatment with risperidone despite weight increase.