Duloxetine in Adults With ADHD: A Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Pilot Study
Journal of Attention Disorders, 05/14/2012
Bilodeau M et al. – There was no treatment group effect on Hamilton Depression Rating Scale or Hamilton Anxiety Rating Scale scores. Duloxetine may be a therapeutic option for adults with ADHD.Methods
- In a 6-week double-blind trial, 30 adults with ADHD received placebo or duloxetine 60 mg daily.
- The Conners’ Adult ADHD Rating Scale (CAARS) and the Clinical Global Impression Scales (CGI) were used to assess symptom severity and clinical improvement.
- The Hamilton Anxiety Rating Scale (HARS) and the Hamilton Depression Rating Scale (HDRS) were used to measure the effect on anxiety and depressive symptoms.
- The Duloxetine group showed lower score on CGI-Severity at Week 6 (3.00 vs. 4.07 for placebo, p < .001), greater improvement on CGI-Improvement (2.89 vs. 4.00 at Week 6, p < .001), and greater decreases on five of eight subscales of the CAARS.
- There was no treatment group effect on HDRS or HARS scores.