Effect of low calorie diet with rice bran oil on cardiovascular risk factors in hyperlipidemic patients
Journal of Research in Medical Sciences, 07/17/2012
Zavoshy R et al. - The results confirm that rice bran oil, when consumed as part of a healthy diet, is effective in improving risk factors for cardiovascular disease.Methods
- This study was a parallel groups’ randomized clinical trial with a pre- and post-test design.
- Fifty hyperlipidemic patients of both sexes and age range of 25 – 65 years had participated.
- The patients received a low-calorie diet based on 1400 kcal energy, 17% protein, 26% fat, and 57% carbohydrate per day for four weeks.
- The treatment group received a low-calorie diet including rice bran oil (30 g / day).
- Blood samples were obtained after an overnight (12 hours) fasting period before the study and on the last day of the intervention period.
- Anthropometric indices and levels of serum triacylglycerol, total cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein, and high-density lipoprotein were measured before and after the intervention.
- In both groups, weight, body mass index, waist, and hip circumferences were significantly reduced (P < 0.05) after four weeks.
- In comparison with the control group, the results of treatment with rice bran oil, with a low-calorie diet, showed that at the end of the fourth week, total cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein, and atherogenic ratio of total cholesterol / high-density lipoprotein were significantly decreased (P < 0.05).