Single high oral dose amiodarone for cardioversion of recent onset atrial fibrillation
Heart, Lung, and Circulation, 07/16/2012
Nadarasa K et al. – Single high dose oral amiodarone is safe and highly effective for patients with recent onset atrial fibrillation eligible for acute chemical cardioversion.Methods
- Authros retrospectively studied 48 patients with recent onset symptomatic atrial fibrillation presenting to the emergency department.
- These patients were admitted to the cardiology ward and treated with single high oral dose (30mg/kg) amiodarone.
- The mean±SD age of patients was 60.1±4.4years and 54% were male.
- Forty–two (90%) of them had symptoms <24h.
- The common risk factor for atrial fibrillation was hypertension (73%).
- Of 48 patients, 47 (98%) were chemically cardioverted to sinus rhythm in 6.3±0.8h.
- The mean pre–treatment heart rate and blood pressure were 154/min and 159.3/88.0mmHg.
- The lowest heart rate and blood pressure were 43/min and 122.5/80.9mmHg respectively.
- High dose amiodarone was overall well tolerated except in three patients having self–limited gastrointestinal symptoms.
- Hospital discharge occurred in less than 24h after presentation in all but one patient.