Relation Between Mean Platelet Volume and Severity of Atherosclerosis in Patients With Acute Coronary Syndromes
Murat SN et al. – It is possible that mean platelet volume (MPV) can be a helpful marker in patients with coronary artery disease (CAD) for the severity of coronary atherosclerosis.Methods
- The authors evaluated the relationship between MPV and severity of CAD in patients with ACS.
- A total of 395 patients with ACS were included.
- Severity of CAD was assessed with the Gensini and Syntax scores.
- High levels of MPV were associated with the Gensini and Syntax scores, number of diseased vessels (>50%), number of critical lesions (>50% and >70%), and noncritical lesions.
- After multivariate analysis, high levels of MPV were independent predictors of multivessel CAD together with age.