Tsutsui K et al. – In addition to 3 typical cases, the authors found 7 cases with anti–NMDA receptor antibody associated with various psychotic and sleep symptoms, which lack any noticeable clinical signs of encephalitis throughout the course of the disease episodes.Methods
- The study included a total of 61 patients from age 15 to 61 and was carried out between January 1, 2005, and Dec 31, 2010.
- The patients were divided into the following three clinical groups for comparison.
- Group A; Patients with typical clinical characteristics of anti–NMDAR encephalitis.
- Group B; Patients with narcolepsy with severe psychosis.
- Group C; Patients with schizophrenia or schizo–affective disorders.
- Ten out of 61 cases were anti–NMDAR antibody positive in typical encephalitis cases (group A: 3 of 5 cases) and cases in a broader range of psychiatric disorders including narcolepsy (group B: 3 of 5 cases) and schizophrenia (group C: 4 of 51 cases).