Delayed Surgery for Rectal Cancer Patients Receiving Neoadjuvant Chemoradiotherapy: A Promising Method in Its Infancy
Digestive Surgery, 08/21/2012
Peng JY et al. – Delayed surgery is potentially useful, but this needs to be verified by further well–designed prospective trials.Methods
- Two non–cohort studies and 10 cohort studies were reviewed.
- The results were analyzed and the limitations discussed.
- Although debatable, the findings of the included studies are promising.
- Delayed surgery may increase the proportion of favorable tumor response without compromising prognosis.
- However, most of the studies were retrospective, which introduces bias into the evaluation.