A Randomized Trial Comparing the Use of Endobiliary Stent and T-Tube for Biliary Decompression After Laparoscopic Common Bile Duct Exploration
Surgical Laparoscopy, Endoscopy & Percutaneous Techniques, 08/17/2012
Mangla V et al. – Choledochotomy closure over a stent results in a shorter postoperative stay and an earlier return to normal activity compared with closure over a T–tube without any increase in morbidity.Methods
- Between September 2004 and March 2008, 60 patients undergoing laparoscopic CBD exploration for CBD stones were randomized to choledochotomy closure over either a biliary stent or a T–tube after CBD clearance.
- Patients at high risk for surgery and unremitting cholangitis requiring preoperative endoscopic biliary drainage were excluded.
- There were 29 and 31 patients in the T–tube and stenting groups, respectively.
- The 2 groups were comparable with respect to their demographic profile and disease characteristics.
- Patients in the stent group had a significantly shorter operative time and postoperative stay with an earlier return to normal activity (P<0.0001).