Tamura S et al. – This DCF regimen was well tolerated; the results of this study provide information on the potential of docetaxel, cisplatin and 5–fluorouracil (DCF) for treatment of patients with metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus (SCCE).Methods
- Eligible patients included those with previously untreated SCCE, score of ECOG 0-2 and adequate organ function.
- Patients received 60 mg/m2 docetaxel and 70 mg/m2 cisplatin on day 1, and 600 mg/m2 5-fluorouracil on days 1-5 every four weeks.
- Twenty-nine (22 male, 7 female) patients with metastatic SCCE (M1a: 20, M1b: 9) were enrolled.
- Three cases achieved complete response and seven a partial response.
- In addition to these patients, three patients achieved good response and underwent surgical resection, giving an overall response rate of 34.5% (95% Confidene Interval=17.9-54.3) in confirmed cases and 44.8% (95% CI=26.4-64.3) in unconfirmed cases.
- Grade 3 or 4 hematological toxicities were as follows: leukopenia in 15 patients (52%), neutropenia in 22 patients (76%) and febrile neutropenia in 6 patients (21%), while grade 3 or 4 non-hematological toxicities were relatively rare.