Topical treatment of cutaneous metastases of malignant melanoma using combined imiquimod and 5-fluorouracil Full Text
Investigational New Drugs, 07/18/2011
Florin V et al.– The imiquimod and 5–fluorouracil combination is effective. That patients did not develop new, distant lesions suggests the achievement of locoregional control, probably by the induction of antitumor immune response.Methods
- The lesions of 5 patients with multiple cutaneous metastases were treated topically, 5 days per week, with 5–fluorouracil in the morning and imiquimod at night.
- 45 lesions were treated.
- A clinical response was seen in 44 lesions, with a complete response in 19 lesions and a partial response in 25.
- Stable disease was confirmed in the 1 remaining lesion.
- No patients developed new lesions during treatment.
- However, one patient had a recurrence 6 months after treatment discontinuation, followed by a partial response when rechallenged.