Pradeep AR et al. – There was a greater decrease in modified sulcus bleeding index (mSBI) and probing depth (PD) and more clinical attachment level (CAL) gain with significant intrabony defect (IBD) fill at sites treated with scaling and root planing (SRP) plus locally delivered SMV in type 2 diabetes subjects with chronic periodontitis.Methods
- Thirty eight patients were categorized into two treatment groups: SRP plus SMV, 1.2 % and SRP plus placebo.
- Clinical parameters were recorded at baseline before SRP and at 3, 6 and 9 months; they included modified sulcus bleeding index (mSBI), probing depth (PD), and clinical attachment level (CAL).
- At baseline, after 6 months and 9 months, radiologic assessment of intrabony defect (IBD) fill was done using computer-aided software.
- Mean probing depth reduction and mean clinical attachment level gain was found to greater in SMV group than placebo group, at 3, 6 and 9 months.
- Furthermore, significantly greater mean percentage of bone fill was found in the SMV group (32.64 ± 12.90%) compared to placebo group (4.22 ± 9.75%).