Vandone AM et al. – In comparison with published Osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ) rates and those extrapolated from the retrospective analysis, the observed ONJ rate in the prospective group was lower, suggesting that implementation of a preventive dental program may reduce the risk of ONJ in metastatic patients treated with i.v. BP therapy.Methods
- This prospective single-center study included patients with bone metastases from solid tumors
- Patients who received at least one BP infusion between October 2005 and 31 August 2009 underwent one or more ICG evaluation and regular dental examinations
- Evaluated patients with bone metastases from solid tumors who did not undergo dental preventive measures.
- Of 269 patients, 211 had received at least one infusion of BP therapy
- 62% were BP naive and 38% had previous BP exposure
- Of these 211 patients followed for 47 months, 6 patients developed ONJ (2.8%)
- Of 200 patients included in the retrospective analysis, 11 patients developed ONJ (5.5%)