Higher precontrast CT density of the carotid plaque in the symptomatic patients
European Journal of Radiology, 08/21/2012
Park JH et al. - The CT Hounsfield Unit (CTHU) of the carotid atherosclerotic plaque (CAP) on CTpre may be used as one of the biomarkers to distinguish the vulnerable CAP.Methods
- Quantitative analysis of the CTHUs for the CAP was performed in 43 arteries (11 symptomatic arteries, 32 asymptomatic arteries).
- The CTHUs were measured using the manual ROI method for each CAP.
- Group differences in the CTHU of the CAP depending on the symptomatology were evaluated by using the independent t-test.
- The CTHUs of CAP on CTpre were significantly higher in the symptomatic arteries than those of the asymptomatic arteries (P=0.036).
- The CTHUs of CAP on CTartery were not significantly different regardless of symptomatology.